Saturday, April 22, 2006

In the Beginning...

I fully intend this to be a craft-only blog, not that it matters. (You can't tell me what to do... Bwahahahah!!)

I've been spinning about 1 1/4 years. I started two Januaries ago, at a local Girl Scout event called Discoveree. There was a spindling class, which I took (I was so excited, I bought Spin-Off just to get acquainted with the material). It was a great beginner's class- we handled several kinds of fiber, and tried to guess which was which, and then we made CD spindles, and spun up some admittedly yecchy yarn, which we Andean plied (I still use the technique when I have a small amount of singles that need plying) (Andean plying is a certain way of wrapping the singles around your hand so you can ply from both ends).

The next thing I spun was 2 oz. of soy silk that I got on eBay. Whoa. I can't remember what I thought of it at the time, but looking at the yarn now, I think I did pretty well (I'm a fast learner). I remember I stayed up all night plying the yarn. I also remember I wrapped the singles too tightly around my hand, and I could barely get the stuff over my middle finger to start plying; my finger was turning dark red, and was a little swollen- not happy, and I was freaking out (quietly) that I was going to have to CUT all that hard work off my hand, or lose a finger. Fortunately, I worked the stuff off, and proceeded to ply. I haven't used it for anything yet, as I intend to dye it some fabulous color.

Oh, I just wanted to say that I'm calling this a craft-blog because I don't just do one craft (most of us don't). I spin, knit, crochet, I'm a beginning weaver and I will dye at some point (I've certainly collected enough dye), and I may or may not learn to dry felt. I also do a bajillion other crafts (it comes with the territory when you work with Girl Scouts). Plus, I paint. So, any and all of aforementioned crafties will be featured herein.

No comments: