Wednesday, May 10, 2006

OneSkein Secret Pal Questionnaire

1. Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)? I'm definitely a hand-spun, hand-dyed wool (possibly superwash). Corriedale, maybe? It's a pretty all-purpose wool. In jewel tones (with some light in there for contrast, of course).

2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with? I love red, and also greens (but not together). I prefer variegated to solid, because I'm a color-y sort of person. I dislike pink and blue, but they're OK if they're just a part of a greater color scheme.

3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns? I love variegated. It's pretty much what I buy, and I know that means I'm not making plain sweaters or anything, but I've done a lot of mixed-yarn scarves, so variegated= interesting visuals.

4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns? Protein fibers. Other than that, no. I may not be any good at spinning them, or rich enough to buy them, but it's animal excretions all the way.

5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn? I really like getting yarn in skeins. It's not required- that would seem pretty fussy of me- but I really enjoy winding a skein into a ball- I get to run my hands over the yarn and see the colors, it's therapeutic.

6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them? You'd think that I'd be all over organic, living in San Francisco, but I'm not. Why pay extra for a title that doesn't usually make any difference with the yarn. If you want really organic yarn? Buy a fleece, and make it up yourself (although I gotta say that I hate washing a fleece).

7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year? I have no idea. I've been working on a shawl for months, and I'm partway through another project, but other than that it's been hats and scarves.

8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year? Yep- got a pair of socks almost done for Mother's Day, and I think I'm totally going to knit/crochet stuff for Xmas this year.

9. What is your favorite one skein project? I make a lot of hats and scarves that probably only amount to one skein each, but I've now got some cone yarns, so I'm going to say big lace shawls (heheheh). If we're talking what I'd want, I think it'd be cool to have one of those shrugs that don't really keep you warm- they're just pretty.

10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it? I have a big yellow cabinet that my dad made me, and that's where I store all my yarn. I have 2+ moving boxes-full of yarn. My roving would fill at least 3 moving boxes all by itself.

11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it? No. I sometimes like the look of my finished maniyarn scarves that I don't want to sell them, but I know they'll find good homes. It's too much fun making something to begrudge any of my yarn an opportunity to become something.

12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer? No, I don't think so.

13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)? I belong to a couple of mailing list, the Knitty coffeeshop, and I read a bunch of blogs, but I don't belong to any groups (I can't seem to find them in SF, except the one that meets at a bar- and I'm not 21 yet!).

No comments: